Subject: [Leica] Belgian Ale test
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:12:49 -0500

Mark,

I would guess that number closer to 10,000. A myriad, in fact.  And yours is
a powerful argument. Nobody's allowed, really, to refute it, to reject the
morality of your view; and you could even strengthen it by mentioning
alcohol's largest group of victims, the offspring. Yet one can't help notice
your position's Calvinistic failure to recognize the human dilemma. You
assume people don't want to die, or oughtn't want to, but nothing in our
experience suggests this is true for everyone. A good number of people chase
death their whole lives (see Gene Smith bio for one vivid example) and it is
testimony to God's grace or biology's rigors or the gift of ambivalence -- *
something* -- that so many manage not to die sooner than they might. I lived
in the same neighborhood in NYC for 35 years and there were homeless addicts
and alcoholics with HIV and hepatitis and TB and open sores who still took
ten years,  or more, to die.  It was a continuing miracle to see them and
talk to them on the street almost every day.

When animals (vegetarian ones anyway) discover a plant that causes them to
become intoxicated in some way, it's said they go back to it regularly. Even
they, apparently, seek out some relief from the relentless g.d. obligation
of being themselves.

Always interesting to me that Muslims oppose alcohol, while the other desert
religions do not: the Jews celebrate wine and on the Christian side, the
Evangelists all agree, Jesus' first miracle was making more wine (at his
mother's behest, no less) so people could *keep *drinking at a friend's
wedding.  I.e., the guests were already a day-and-a-half-drunk; the crisis
lay in the possibilty they wouldn't be able to drink even more.  So, as they
like to say on TV in other time zones: Thank you Jesus.

PS You can have last word; I promise not to keep this going beyond that....