Subject: [Leica] Re: Unbelievable
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun Dec 21 01:29:15 2008
References: <200812192238.mBJMcWqP029064@server1.waverley.reid.org> <BLU121-DS680A361B7374EA7F19661D4F10@phx.gbl> <494CF6E0.1060702@mcclary.net> <3cad89990812200645r3d5745faoe0e434bdf47904df@mail.gmail.com> <494D6085.5040900@mcclary.net> <9580F7DA-99F6-42FC-9C56-C8A90FA624F2@mac.com> <494D7A5B.9080308@mcclary.net> <7ac27f4f0812201532o4eaa24a7y6efb7ac8566b5f52@mail.gmail.com> <CD51426A-1309-42CE-91AE-4A158BD8975A@btinternet.com> <3cad89990812202353t69a667d3m6e167e70c71ebe80@mail.gmail.com>

Jayanand, I don't think the demand for the M8 is price inelastic (I'm
not Frank, nor do I speak for him, but I will jump in). It just
provides appropriate value, especially if you've acquired an
appreciation for the results of Leica optics. This is a hard sell,
but I don't think Leica would sell enough more M8's at 75% (say) of
the current selling price to make enough difference for them.
Rangefinders are just enough of an oddity right now that I don't
think a somewhat lower price would have done much for them.
Suggesting a price at 50% or lower of the actual selling price would
seem a bit naiive. You can't make up a loss on each item by selling
in greater quantities.

There is no ideal digital camera. There is no ideal film camera.
There is only a camera which is a bit better for taking the pictures
that you want/can/aspire to take.

The M8 is such a camera for a lot of the things I want to shoot for
myself. It does not do much for my professional photography, but I
enjoy both the shooting and the results from the M8 more than those I
get from the 5D and now the 5D MkII. The choices Leica has made with
the camera body and the quality of the Leica lenses make the files
sing. The Canon has problems.

I still shoot 4x5 and panoramic formats on film and get them scanned;
I still shoot B&W 35mm on M6, M7, MDa, etc but the majority of my
discretionary shooting is with the M8. I have the best that Canon has
to offer in lenses, and I'll get the 21 Zeiss when it becomes
available, but the Canons have a tough row to hoe to compete with the
M8.

The 5D MkII FF raw files are up to 40Mb in size, yet they can't beat
the content of the Leica 1.3x crop 10.1Mb files. It's like scanning
800 ISO 35mm film at 5400dpi and getting a 250Mb 16 bit file and
finding out it doesn't have as much info as a 6 megapixel DSLR raw
file.

Size only matters if it actually contains something significant. If
the Canon had WA lenses that were good, and if it didn't soften the
images at the sensor or software too much, then it would outdo the
Leica. As it is, the 5D MkII has excellent low light performance
(pretty much equivalent to the D700 or D3 if the file is reduced to
12Mpixels), lots of features, a great movie mode etc, but few lenses
to truly exploit the 21Mp sensor. Under most conditions, it can't
outperform the M8 because the M8 has no smearing in the sensor/basic
processing and it has outstanding lenses. Yes, the 5D has great 6400
ISO performance, but it does not have great ISO 400 performance
compared with the M8. More of my pictures require ISO 400 than 6400,
and it's likely to remain that way. So the M8 works, and the 5DMkII
lags. It appears likely to remain that way for a while, so the M8
comes out on top and the price one has to pay, all things considered,
seems reasonable. I'd like it to be lower, but I realize that I have
to subsidize the R&D as well as the production costs. I don't think
it's an unfair 'ripoff' price. It's also enough better than the only
remote alternative, the RD-1, to justify the price.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Now 5D Mk II - Was Unbelievable)