Subject: [Leica] Now I know why the filters are needed on the M8 :-)
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Dec 17 19:53:30 2008

Nathan, my recommendation is to fit them and leave them on at all times. for
people indoor/mixed light photography they are vital. There are some minor
issues to learn when you use them, but they far are far outweighed by the
gains. For wides in particular they make life a lot easier because of
vignette correction too. Incidentally this week I found mine to be tough,
not soft as others have reported.  I attempted to stow a lens by fitting it
in a double ended lens cap that I use in my bag. Instead I accidentally put
the lens bayonet inside the lens hood and twisted it in contact (presumably)
with the filter. No marks! Then, I dropped it while checking it and dented
the outside filter thread (bad karma I guess!)
Cheers
Snowed in in Vegas Hoppy