Subject: [Leica] Now I know why the filters are needed on the M8 :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Dec 17 12:18:50 2008

Nathan offered:

>> But on a serious note, this does convince me that the filters are

really needed.<<<

Nathan without question, you'll have more keepers with them on, than not
using them.

I've fought the Magenta scourge since I started using M8's. Without question
we are in a loosing battle, so I've finally accepted to "not filter is plain
stupid" because one ends up deleting too many "what need to be in colour
photographs!" And flipping them into B&W doesn't always work. trust me I've
tried it too many times. So given the image recording is excellent it'll be
IR filters from now on.

I've always believed filters should only be used for a specific photographic
effect only, then off! And never believed the hog wash of  "protection and
the many other nit wit suggestions for putting them in front of Leica
glass." However the IR's on an M8 are absolutely necessary for consistency
of image quality if one is shooting colour! There a confession! :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE) ([Leica] Now I know why the filters are needed on the M8 :-))