Subject: [Leica] leica digital back; now marketing will save Leica?
From: rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Sun Apr 10 14:52:48 2005

Is it marketing, or distribution that is Leica's problem?

For me it's distribution.  There is not a single Leica product that I
would be interested in buying in a shop within a four hour drive.  This
must be quite common for Leica's prospective customers.

Here's a solution I thought up the other day, while waiting for a bird
to land on a stick.

You order a Leica product from a local camera shop and the very next
day it leaves Leica's warehouse directly to your address.  No shipping
to a national distributor.  No shipping to the shop.  No wondering
whose fingerprints or scratch marks are on the item.  If a shop wants
stock of a popular item, it works the same.

One way or another Leica needs to cut out all of the middle men.
Either the distributors, or the retailers, or both.

Rick.