Subject: [Leica] Leica: 100 Jobs lost
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 10:35:39 -0500

Leica is not missing this revolution probably most widely done by Olympus.
Olympus runs a very tight integration of lens information and camera
processor manipulating the image to correct lens flaws even in "RAW"
formats.  This lets them produce smaller less expensive lenses optimized
for correctable aberrations.  If you look at the Q2 it is doing similar
things to the image.

Going off the plantation, I believe that the Q2 is a prototype for future
Leica products.  Higher pixel counts and tighter integration of lens
processor.  I think that Leica will profit greatly from this.  I have been
seduced by the optical quality of the Sony G Master lenses and very
disappointed by the size required to do this.  Also, the Sigma Art series
has outstanding image quality at the expense of huge volumes and weight.
So, if Leica can integrate digital aberration control especially if they do
the work to integrate older designs then we will pay to code out lenses,
and pay to acquire new lenses to save our shoulders and backs.

As an aside, the new sensors coming out with their very impressive high ISO
performance really eliminate the need for very fast lenses unless you want
the effect of F1 on your image.  So, the 50 APO Summicron is also a way
forward for Leica as pixel counts go up and superb lens performance becomes
very important.