Subject: [Leica] Leica: 100 Jobs lost
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 13:31:23 -0400

I hope you?re right about recognition of the merits of tailoring a camera's
firmware to the lens(es) used, and of high pixel counts as engineering and
algorithmic approaches to reducing small-pixel noise march on.

A few years ago I conducted an informal experiment where I imaged the same
scene with cameras of several different sensor sizes, compact pocket 11 MPx
P&S to 36 Mpx FF 35s, with the zooms all set to the same actual (not
equivalent) 21mm FL as the 21mm WA lenses on the FF bodies. This caused any
given detail in the scene to have the same physical extent on each of the
sensors. In effect, this made each of the smaller sensors a section of a FF
sensor behind a 21mm lens.

By looking up the physical dimensions of each of the smaller sensors, I was
determined what fraction of FF each one was equivalent to. Dividing a
sensor?s pixel count by the fraction of FF that it represented gave the
pixel count of a FF sensor with the same pixel size. The 11-MPx P&S, with a
sensor approximately one-third the linear size of FF (i.e., 12 x 9 mm vs. 36
x 24), had about 1/9 the area of the FF sensor and therefore produced an
image that was equivalent to a one-third crop of an image from a 100 MPx FF
sensor.

I compared the images at the same image scale in Photoshop and noted that
resolution improved steadily from the 24 MPx FF through the smaller sensors
to the very smallest, which clearly had the best resolution. My conclusion
was that FF sensors will continue to improve in resolution at least until
they reach 100 MPx, and possibly beyond. I have not been able to find any
discussions of what the practical maximum pixel count for a FF sensor and
modern lenses might be. I think it?s going to take a while before a 100-MPx
FF sensor with acceptable low-light performance and an acceptable cost is
available, but if the Leica Q5 or whatever has one, I?ll get it.

The notional 100-MPx FF sensor would have pixel dimensions of about 12000 x
8000. An exhibition-quality 11 x 17 print, with 300 dpi, needs a 3:2 file
size of about 5000 x 3300 pixels, which is 40% of the linear dimensions of a
100-MPx FF sensor. The Q?s 28-mm FL divided by 40% is 70mm. So a Q with such
a sensor would produce fine large prints at the equivalent of any FL from 28
to 70 mm, or a very acceptable 200-dpi laptop or tablet screen image, or 8 x
12 print, at the equivalent of up to about 135 mm. It would be truly the
equivalent of a FF camera with a 5:1 zoom.

Of course, the Q2, with a 47-MPx sensor, has pixels that are only about 40%
bigger than a 100?s would be, so its 28mm lens would be good for 50 or 70-mm
equivalents under the above conditions. There are times when I?ve wished for
a wider angle than my Sony RX1?s 35mm, more times than I?ve wished I could
make a smaller tele-equivalent crop, so I?ve been thinking?

?howard

Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Leica: 100 Jobs lost)