Subject: [Leica] Leica: 100 Jobs lost
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 08:19:38 -0700

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 9:11 PM Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu>
wrote:

... the Leica boss also talks about the ?second digital revolution? where
> the quality of the picture is determined more by software than by the
> quality of the optics, ...

If you have not tried/purchased Topaz's AI Gigapixel ("AIG"), you may be
missing this revolution.  I, personally, carry a WATE and 50mm
Apo-Summicron.  Those two can give me (with the help of AIG) gallery
quality files covering the 16 mm to 100 mm range, which is where I find
most of my landscape images are found.   (With the Apo 50, I can probably
go beyond a 2x expansion.)

One interesting thing to note is that the depth of field of a shorter lens
that is expanded.  For example, a 50mm covering the 100mm image crop gives
a better/broader depth of field than the 100mm lens.

What AIG cannot do is sharpen soft corners -- as, for example, produced by
the Leica MATE.  The image going in has to be reasonably good.  Garbage in,
garbage out still applies.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Leica: 100 Jobs lost)