Subject: [Leica] Leica: 100 Jobs lost
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 06:10:55 +0200

If you can read German, there is a much longer article here:

https://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen/mittelstand/familienunternehmer/matthias-harsch-so-will-der-leica-chef-den-firmenumbau-meistern-/24461078.html?ticket=ST-4506393-74Js3nPvHStgiunMebup-ap6

While Leica denies that Huawai?s problems have anything to do with it, it
does not sound entirely believable given the close cooperation and the
decline in Huawei smartphone sales reported yesterday. But the Leica boss
also talks about the ?second digital revolution? where the quality of the
picture is determined more by software than by the quality of the optics,
which of course means that Leica?s core strength becomes less important. He
does claim that they will hire up to 40 software people, which is why he
claims that it is a strategic shift and not just a cost cutting round.

There is also talk about a possible return to the stock market?and in this
context a cost reduction makes a lot of sense.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain