Subject: [Leica] OT: Apple Mac gets grindingly slow...
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 19:34:36 +0900

Thanks for all the tips.  I ran the Crucial downloadable scanner.  It
said my max. memory capacity = 3072 MB.  I have 2 GB in there now, and
that: Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the
best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.Maximum
memory is reached by using one 2GB SODIMM and one 1GB SODIMM.

I find this contradictory, so I'm still confused.  I think I should
get two 2 GB sticks to keep best performance.  Crucial's scanner says
that, yet the next thing it says is that I should get a 2 GB stick for
one slot and keep a 1 GB stick in the other slot.  Does anyone
understand this and is able to recommend which would be faster, the 3
GB set or the 4 GB?

My 9000 image catalogue is on a 460 GB external drive with 100 GB
spare.  My 9000 image catalogue seems pretty small compared to the
sizes of some LUGgers catalogues.  I guess it's about time to buy
another external HDD and try to run them together.  I suppose that
means daisy chaining them.

As for the recommendation of optimizing my Lightroom catalogue, I
can't find where to do that.  I use Lightroom 2.5.  I go to Lightroom
 > File but can't see any optimize option.

I'll run Disk utility on my internal and external drives, but I do
this *fairly* often anyway.

Peter Cheyne

Replies: Reply from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] OT: Apple Mac gets grindingly slow...)
Reply from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] OT: Apple Mac gets grindingly slow...)