Subject: [Leica] Any S2 experiences?
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:08:54 +0100

Le 21 mars 10 ? 01:08, John Nebel a ?crit :

> Philippe,
>
> Rabs put it this way: "it's a medium format camera in a 35mm
> package. Delight in its deceptiveness."
>
> S2 has an f/2.5 lens vs the M's f/1.4 (or f/1.0 or even f/.95) and
> is slower due to the larger image circle.  The S2 sensor is 45x30mm
> and the M's is 36x24mm.
>
> Maybe it is not correct, but I was thinking of a projector as an
> analog, move it farther from the screen and the image is bigger, but
> darker. Twice the diagonal size, 1/4 the brightness as the lamp has
> to illuminate the equivalent of four of the original images.  Makes
> me think of the Meno.

80/2,8 = 40/1,4 = 28.5714

you get different aperture (f) values, but the amount of light is the
same as the 'hole' is the same, or am I completely mistaken in the
aperture calculation formula?

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouverture_(photographie)

I would bet that the absence of faster f value on a MF/LF sensitive
media lenses results from other considerations such as angle and light
fall out in the outer parts of the sheet/film/sensor.

At the other end of the size spectrum, if we take the Pana 4/3 pancake
you'd get 20/1.7 = 11.7647 a smaller hole, hence slower speeds? unless
compensated by the electronics ? with less fall-out issues?
I really don't know.

Thanks
Philippe