Subject: [Leica] Any S2 experiences?
From: richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 03:44:32 -0700

The size of the photosite must have something to do with it too. For
example, the BIGGER 6 micron photosite on the S2, M9 etc. needs more photons
than, for example, the teeeeeeny smaller than a gnat 4/3 sensor at 4.3
microns (we know hyperbole makes good points). Any case, it stands to
reasons (even if not physic :-)), that you would need more photons to fill
those wells. Bigger is always better - except when it is not.

For MF, aperture of F2.5 would produce fairly narrow DoF for any reasonable
normal focal length. So not much point of going faster.

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 3:08 AM, philippe.amard <philippe.amard at
sfr.fr>wrote:

> Le 21 mars 10 ? 01:08, John Nebel a ?crit :
>

>> Philippe,
>>
>> Rabs put it this way: "it's a medium format camera in a 35mm package.
>> Delight in its deceptiveness."
>>
>> S2 has an f/2.5 lens vs the M's f/1.4 (or f/1.0 or even f/.95) and is
>> slower due to the larger image circle.  The S2 sensor is 45x30mm and the
>> M's
>> is 36x24mm.
>>
>> Maybe it is not correct, but I was thinking of a projector as an analog,
>> move it farther from the screen and the image is bigger, but darker. Twice
>> the diagonal size, 1/4 the brightness as the lamp has to illuminate the
>> equivalent of four of the original images.  Makes me think of the Meno.
>>

> 80/2,8 = 40/1,4 = 28.5714
>
> you get different aperture (f) values, but the amount of light is the same
> as the 'hole' is the same, or am I completely mistaken in the aperture
> calculation formula?
>
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouverture_(photographie)<http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouverture_%28photographie%29>
>
> I would bet that the absence of faster f value on a MF/LF sensitive media
> lenses results from other considerations such as angle and light fall out
> in
> the outer parts of the sheet/film/sensor.
>

> At the other end of the size spectrum, if we take the Pana 4/3 pancake
> you'd get 20/1.7 = 11.7647 a smaller hole, hence slower speeds? unless
> compensated by the electronics ? with less fall-out issues?
> I really don't know.
>

> Thanks
> Philippe
>

>  John
>>
>> philippe.amard wrote:
>>
>>> Le 20 mars 10 ? 22:25, John Nebel a ?crit :

>>> understand.
>>> TIA

--
// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com/> blog: <