Subject: [Leica] Any S2 experiences?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 02:11:51 -0400

> Philippe,
>
> Rabs put it this way: "it's a medium format camera in a 35mm package.
> Delight
> in
> its deceptiveness."
>
> S2 has an f/2.5 lens vs the M's f/1.4 (or f/1.0 or even f/.95) and is
> slower
> due
> to the larger image circle.  The S2 sensor is 45x30mm and the M's is
> 36x24mm.
>
> Maybe it is not correct, but I was thinking of a projector as an analog,
> move
> it
> farther from the screen and the image is bigger, but darker. Twice the
> diagonal
> size, 1/4 the brightness as the lamp has to illuminate the equivalent of
> four
> of
> the original images.  Makes me think of the Meno.
>
> John

Medium format lenes are never as fast as 35mm lenes.
I'm not sure there ever was a 1.4 medium format lens.
The 80 planar for both the Rolleiflex and Hasselblad was a 2.8. That has
always been normal.
Nobody complained. you just  leaved you shutter opened for more time.
Though what you see when you look through it should be ten times less dim
than the Rolleiflex and Hasselblad was. Its supposed to be huge and
excellent to view through.
Make a large print and any qualm you might have about minor issues like not
super fast glass will diminish. Your stuff is going to blow away the 35mm
format stuff. No its not the stuff you see in a jpeg a few hundred pixels
across.
Medium format requires a bit of a more studied approach. But your images
will have more authority.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner