Subject: [Leica] Vienna
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:09:48 +0100

The castles on the Rhine are mostly the real thing - knights in armour
and all that - none of your renaissance "My architect can put more
twiddly bits on it than yours" kind of stuff with white & gold-leaf
furniture, ridiculous ormolu clocks and badly silvered mirrors.

Ludwig of Bavaria nearly bankrupted the state with his love of fairytale
castles - it is rumoured that this was the real reason for him drowning,
not suicide.

It all boils down to the difference between defending yourself with
walls and weapons or with a barrage of wealth - I prefer the former
style of castle,
like this one:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/UK/Dales/Swaledale/Richmond_Sunset.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/UK/Dales/Swaledale/Richmond_Castle_Keep.jpg.html

Never besieged, never a bow drawn nor a cannon fired in anger, but it
certainly let people know who the boss was.

Cheers
Douglas