Subject: [Leica] Vienna - Jayanand - on castles
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:59:11 +0100

Le 22 f?vr. 10 ? 03:34, Jayanand Govindaraj a ?crit :

> Philippe,
> I have not seen these xastles in Germany and Austria - but I found
> Versailles very underwhelming! Is it just me?
> Cheers
> Jayanand

You're right Jayanand, absolutely right.

Yet I always try to view a castle (Versailles and Schonbr?n are more
palaces than castles BTW) with a time and function perspective:
when and why was it built, what did it mean to the people there, what
was the craft involved as well as the state of the art then.

Versailles for instance was reclaimed on swamps, and not fortified,
but was meant to be the center of power in a fledgling (restroomless)
absolute monarchy, (fancy the stench then)?
Sch?nbr?n has a complex system of corridors so that social classes
wouldn't mix. And its Gloriette and parks are such symbols of the
Austrian mighty power.

They also reflect the curiosity of their owners ; artefacts brought
back from military campaigns, or ordered specifically, etc.
If you're interested in technology, this is where you see how they
developed (ceramics, woodwork, etc - even gun technology can get my
interest there ...)

So rather than just staying outside and have a drink - which I
nonetheless do afterwards, I'm inclined to get in, watch, listen and
learn more about history; the "little one", and the one that changed
the world.

I have such fond memories of the Red Forts in Dehli and Agra, or of
Maharadjah palaces in Jaipur, Mutzarfarpur, Fathpur Sikri and other
places  :-)
The same applies everywhere, for me at least, be it political
(Brasilia which I loved then) or corporate (the Sears Tower and others
are the heirs to the system).

Amiti?s de Metz
Philippe who is not a fan of Sissi's (TM) but shared the dream for the
time of a visit ... ;-)

NO ARCHIVE

Message from philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard) ([Leica] Vienna)
Message from leowesson at gmail.com (Leo Wesson) ([Leica] Vienna)