Subject: [Leica] Still toying with getting a 75mm Summilux
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 04:22:38 -0400

> Objectively.....
>
> If you are going to use the 75 LUX on your M8, then it sounds like you
> should be prepared to take you lens and camera to Leica for a "mating".  If
> you do not mind that, them go for it....  It is a fantastic lens.  And F1.4
> lenses are not exactly easy to find.....  Remember it will be the angle of
> view of a 100mm...... compared to FF.
>
> If the mating bothers you, then the Summicron option or the Summarit option
> is still available, and according to Henning, should actually be a better
> match out of the box.
>
> 75 Lux were a $1300 lens about 5 year ago..... then again, so were the
> Noctilux.  Then the M8 came out, and a lot of people wanted them badly
> enough that they are now quite a bit higher in price.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i at earthlink.net

Never in a million years would I want the 1.4 over the Leica Telephoto 75mm
f/2.0 APO Summicron M Aspherical Manual Focus Lens (6-Bit, Updated for
Digital) and get cutting edge compact modern Leica performance to knock out
Canon and Nikon results.
Sorry to rub owners of the Summilux the wrong way but it seems  to me
quaint, dated and overblown, front heavy and bloated, too heavy, old.
A result of the speed wars of the 60's and 70's see Erwin's thing on the
75mm focal lengh:
http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/lenses/lenses/page82.html

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Still toying with getting a 75mm Summilux)