Subject: [Leica] ZEISS BIOTAR 58/2
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Dec 17 16:53:21 2008

At 06:39 PM 12/17/2008, Lluis Ripoll wrote:
 >Hi Marc,
 >
 >Thank you very much for all your really interesting details and
 >general information, I'm very happy with my old new toy, at least I
 >can say that I have something archaeolgical!. Well, I've paid much
 >more less than the values indicated by you, this would be a good deal
 >if the today value was between 800/1200$. I've saw a similar one on e-
 >bay, announced as a Contax F, but with the same logo as mine, asking
 >"Buy it now" for 813$ ...??!
 >
 >Well, the camera and lens is younger than me, it shall run!

Hmm.  I paid $US 25 for the
Hexacon/ContaSol/Cibtax D with lens.  But, then,
I knew exactly what I was buying.  I was working
a table at a camera show with a rather epic
fellow in US East Coast camera shows, Don
Jester.  I went over towards the end of the show
and got the camera from a dejected dealer who had
had a really bad day  -- having been in his
shoes, I offered him $10 for gas to get home but
he simply mumbled that he had enough to get
there.  Then I took the camera back to my table
and impressed Don -- probably the only occasion
on which I have done so -- by unscrewing the
nummerschild, the number ring, from the lens, to
show the real CZJ serial number.  Thanks, Peter
Dechert!  There are a number of books on the
Contax S family (one of which I offer for sale
weekly, as I have been gifted several copies of
the German-language edition.)  But Dechert's
monograph remains the supreme source.  If I can
ever figure out my new scanning software, I ought
to scan this and make it available to all.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] ZEISS BIOTAR 58/2 TEST)