Subject: [Leica] ZEISS BIOTAR 58/2
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Dec 17 15:22:11 2008

At 05:23 PM 12/17/2008, Lluis Ripoll wrote:
 >Hi Marc,
 >
 >It is not a secret, the PENTACON is the model F, S/N 186012 the lens
 >is marked JENA S/N 5505038. Here you can see the camera:

Thanks, Luis

The camera was in production between 1956 and
1960 but I cannot find a more precise breakdown
by serial number.  The camera was also marketed
in some parts of the world as the Contax F.  The
F cost 643DM in 1956 and this had fallen to 499DM
as the model was phased out.  But I am not
certain WHICH DM this would be;  it might be the
DDR Mark or the BRD Mark, the former generally
running about 70% of the value of the BRD Mark
for most of the era.  If this is in the "four to
the dollar" BRD Mark, then these prices, adjusted
for inflation, would be around $1200 in 1956 at
today's values and $870 by 1966.  If these values
are in the East German Mark, then these values would be reduced by 30%.

I own a Contax D, a Hexacon-rebadged ContaSol --
VEB Zeiss Ikon was not permitted to use Zeiss
intellectual properties in the US at the time --
which I occasionally use.  These cameras are
remarkably complex as only a German industrial
production can be, and, to add insult to injury,
they were produced on machinery appallingly worn
out by Wartime over-use.  But it is a fun camera
to use, despite Peter Dechert's warnings about it's reliability.

The 2/58 CZJ Biotar is more interesting.  The
factory records show a gap between 5504092 and
5506001, and your lens indicates that at least
some of the production in this 1900-lens void
consisted of the 2/58 Biotar in M42.  Industrial
archaeology and reconstruction of lost records
continues!  The production date was possibly in the summer of 1958.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] ZEISS BIOTAR 58/2)