Subject: [Leica] TED GRANT! Was, that pesky 2/58 Biotar
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Dec 17 16:40:57 2008

At 06:39 PM 12/17/2008, you wrote:

 >Thank you very much for all your really interesting details and
 >general information, I'm very happy with my old new toy, at least I
 >can say that I have something archaeolgical!. Well, I've paid much
 >more less than the values indicated by you, this would be a good deal
 >if the today value was between 800/1200$. I've saw a similar one on e-
 >bay, announced as a Contax F, but with the same logo as mine, asking
 >"Buy it now" for 813$ ...??!
 >
 >Well, the camera and lens is younger than me, it shall run!

My family generally live long, dying in their
89's or 90's from Terminal Nastiness.  And almost
all die peacefully in their sleep.  After all,
only the good die young!  My earliest camera is a
1932 Voigtl?nder Bessa which I have owned since
1962, so I have had that camera with me for more than half of its life.

No, I do not possess the Repository of Early
Leica Cameras:  that is held by Ted Grant, but,
what the hey, Ted has been in Late Middle Age
since 1492 or, maybe, 1399 -- accounts differ,
but who can trust historians to be able to EVER
find the truth of Ted Grant's oddball
life?  After all, he DID pull point detail for
Hannibal when he crossed over the Alps.  I really
do not understand why he keeps rejecting those
offers from Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise to play him
in the Biopic Hollywood has intended to make of
such an illustrious and LONG life, albeit, though
he will not admit it publicly, all of his
photographs were either tintypes or
Daguerrueotype plates.  "New Technology?  What do
I care about New Technology," stormed the Stormy
Ted, "I can do more with a Petzval lens and a
View Camera than that pesky rascal Barnack will
ever do with his contemptible excuse for a
camera."  That was in 1915, when Ted was
patriotically toeing the Canadian line, shortly
before his heroic exploits at Gallipoli, when he
saved the Venus de Milo from destruction by the
bombardment from the 182nd
Landweh-Artileree-Regiment of the German
Army.  Ted has such a past that we must only
acknowledge his legacy as the man of
perfection!  Petzval lens, indeed:  Ted TAUGHT
Petzval how to design the lens.  The stories
about the battery of Austrian artillerists are
all false.  Ted KNEW it all and passed it on to
Petzval, who then got cheated in a Huge Corporate
Scandal by the Voigtl?nder folks in a scam even
Obama could not resolve, had he been about at the time.

Ted. it really is time to come clean.  When you
got the shot of Trudeau going down the bannister,
however did you keep from scorching him with the
flash powder?  Enquiring minds want to know!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] TED GRANT! Was, that pesky 2/58 Biotar)