Subject: [Leica] Well, Some...at Least One...of the Greats Do
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Thu Nov 30 12:49:39 2006

On Nov 30, 2006, at 12:28 PM, Ted Grant wrote:
> Mark mon ami, :-)
> I'm supposed to be retired!  Aaaaaaaaaacccccccccckkkkkkkkkk!!! :-
> ( :-( Well I'm reminded by she who must be obeyed almost daily!
> Worst damn thing a man be forced into as far as I'm concerned! Sure
> lots of folks re-tire and love it doing whatever comes to mind and
> their little ol heart makes them happy!
>
> Even though I'm working on two new books it isn't the same as out
> shooting on assignment. Yep I've slowed down some this 78th year,
> damn pain in the ass! And even though I work out 3 mornings a week
> with a personal trainer, then get at least 3 of the 4 other
> mornings in with a power walk to keep me mobile. You can't beat the
> system, you are going to the big darkroom in the sky sooner than
> later! :-( However I've sworn for years when I go it's going to be
> right in the middle of a shoot Leicas at the ready and me clicking
> away! :-) Attitude man, Attitude! ;-)
>
> Oh I've come damn close a few times, but the Great Spirit has a
> plan for me and so far he's managed to keep me OK even though I put
> myself into some pretty stupid positions looking for the better
> picture angle! ;-) Dumb ass photographer's do that sometimes. :-)
>
>>> Thing is photographers don't retire. Think of the greats; they
>>> kept shooting
>>> till they dropped dead at their tripods.<<<<
>
> Well I don't know about the tripod but I'm damn well going with
> camera in hand in the middle of a shoot! As long as I'm not
> shot!;-)  Been close, however the shooter was a bad shot! ;-)
>
> Cartier Bresson? He returned to what he really loved in his
> heart..... his painting. Then quietly slipped away when the time
> came. But there are others who've hit the silk while shooting an
> assignment. Capa for one! Actually he should've known better, but
> like I said..... "dumb ass photographers do that looking for a
> better picture!"
>
> If we didn't, life and pictures would be pretty damn boring!
> Sometimes you win and sometimes ... well you know the rest!

finally I decided to fess up and see what advice I can get from the
voices of experience here,

I am planning to retire from medicine next year...and the closer I
get, the more delighted I am ...really anxious to do it.

But at the same time, the more I find myself having second
thoughts...  mostly gee I'll miss it...I love it, I get so much out
of it...

I can't do my medical stuff forever, but frankly I'm surprised at how
I feel...

am I normal ?  what to do ?

   Steve