Subject: [Leica] Well, Some...at Least One...of the Greats Do
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Nov 30 11:29:23 2006

Mark Rabiner asked?:

 >>[Leica] OT How many here are retired? How many are happier after
retirement than when you were working?<<<<

Mark mon ami, :-)
I'm supposed to be retired!  Aaaaaaaaaacccccccccckkkkkkkkkk!!! :-( :-( Well
I'm reminded by she who must be obeyed almost daily! Worst damn thing a man
be forced into as far as I'm concerned! Sure lots of folks re-tire and love
it doing whatever comes to mind and their little ol heart makes them happy!

Even though I'm working on two new books it isn't the same as out shooting
on assignment. Yep I've slowed down some this 78th year, damn pain in the
ass! And even though I work out 3 mornings a week with a personal trainer,
then get at least 3 of the 4 other mornings in with a power walk to keep me
mobile. You can't beat the system, you are going to the big darkroom in the
sky sooner than later! :-( However I've sworn for years when I go it's going
to be right in the middle of a shoot Leicas at the ready and me clicking
away! :-) Attitude man, Attitude! ;-)

Oh I've come damn close a few times, but the Great Spirit has a plan for me
and so far he's managed to keep me OK even though I put myself into some
pretty stupid positions looking for the better picture angle! ;-) Dumb ass
photographer's do that sometimes. :-)

>>Thing is photographers don't retire. Think of the greats; they kept
>>shooting
>>till they dropped dead at their tripods.<<<<

Well I don't know about the tripod but I'm damn well going with camera in
hand in the middle of a shoot! As long as I'm not shot!;-)  Been close,
however the shooter was a bad shot! ;-)

Cartier Bresson? He returned to what he really loved in his heart..... his
painting. Then quietly slipped away when the time came. But there are others
who've hit the silk while shooting an assignment. Capa for one! Actually he
should've known better, but like I said..... "dumb ass photographers do that
looking for a better picture!"

If we didn't, life and pictures would be pretty damn boring! Sometimes you
win and sometimes ... well you know the rest!

ted
tedgrantphoto.com
tedgrant@shaw.ca

Ted Grant Photography Limited