Subject: [Leica] Well, Some...at Least One. NOW RETIRE?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Nov 30 17:54:33 2006

Steve Barbour asked:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Well, Some...NOW RETIRE? :-)

> finally I decided to fess up and see what advice I can get from the
> voices of experience here,
>
> I am planning to retire from medicine next year...and the closer I  get,
> the more delighted I am ...really anxious to do it.
>
> But at the same time, the more I find myself having second  thoughts...
> mostly gee I'll miss it...I love it, I get so much out  of
> it...<<<<<<<<<<<

Steve mon ami,
Look old buddy this really is a "Too each his own!"  final desicion. What's
good for one is sheer death with in 12 months or less for another! :-) :-(

I know a doctor who's 92 and he goes to his office every day just like he
was 32! Amazing! And he loves it because he says... "if I don't keep busy
I'll die!" Then smiles!

It doesn't get any simpler than that for diagnosis! !.

Does he do all the things he did at 32? Not at all, but what he does bring
is all those years of experince much like an encyclopia for the younger
doctors to draw on. He helps make lives better and patients recover....
never really putting a hand on many of them.... he delivers the wisdom!
Certainly for others to carry out the "remedies."

> I can't do my medical stuff forever, but frankly I'm surprised at how  I
> feel... am I normal ?  what to do ?<<<<

I'm the last guy on this list to bitch about re-tiring simply because I've
lived the lives of at least ten men, worked, enjoyed and been to places
around this world probably 95% of photographers never get the chance to go
on assignments... hell not likely on their holidays or a life time!

I try to accept this is part of my so called " re-tirement thing" I'm going
through this past while, quick to jump at times on young photographers who
seem plain out and out stupid! Damn some of them are!  But one should always
remember that at one time one was pretty inexperinced as these young guys
and girls.  They gain nothing from my over half century assignment experince
if I yell at them . getting off track, sorry.

I know there are some very "re-tirement experinced" lads on the list whom
have given me direction as I'm sure you'll receive during the next few days.
But the bottom line is.... "It is only you who can answer your own
question!" for some it's a piece of cake.

Another like myself?  I'm fighting it till the death! ;-) Not sure if this
is of any help.

ted

Replies: Reply from harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] FS: Canon 1D Body)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Well, Some...at Least One...of the Greats Do)