Subject: [Leica] Well, Some...at Least One...of the Greats Do
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Wed Dec 6 00:53:47 2006

On 01/12/2006, at 6:45, Steve Barbour wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2006, at 12:28 PM, Ted Grant wrote:
>> Mark mon ami, :-)
>> I'm supposed to be retired!  Aaaaaaaaaacccccccccckkkkkkkkkk!!! :-
>> ( :-( Well I'm reminded by she who must be obeyed almost daily!
>> Worst damn thing a man be forced into as far as I'm concerned!
>> Sure lots of folks re-tire and love it doing whatever comes to
>> mind and their little ol heart makes them happy!
>>
>> Even though I'm working on two new books it isn't the same as out
>> shooting on assignment. Yep I've slowed down some this 78th year,
>> damn pain in the ass! And even though I work out 3 mornings a week
>> with a personal trainer, then get at least 3 of the 4 other
>> mornings in with a power walk to keep me mobile. You can't beat
>> the system, you are going to the big darkroom in the sky sooner
>> than later! :-( However I've sworn for years when I go it's going
>> to be right in the middle of a shoot Leicas at the ready and me
>> clicking away! :-) Attitude man, Attitude! ;-)
>>
>> Oh I've come damn close a few times, but the Great Spirit has a
>> plan for me and so far he's managed to keep me OK even though I
>> put myself into some pretty stupid positions looking for the
>> better picture angle! ;-) Dumb ass photographer's do that
>> sometimes. :-)

>> Well I don't know about the tripod but I'm damn well going with
>> camera in hand in the middle of a shoot! As long as I'm not
>> shot!;-)  Been close, however the shooter was a bad shot! ;-)
>>
>> Cartier Bresson? He returned to what he really loved in his
>> heart..... his painting. Then quietly slipped away when the time
>> came. But there are others who've hit the silk while shooting an
>> assignment. Capa for one! Actually he should've known better, but
>> like I said..... "dumb ass photographers do that looking for a
>> better picture!"
>>
>> If we didn't, life and pictures would be pretty damn boring!
>> Sometimes you win and sometimes ... well you know the rest!
>
> finally I decided to fess up and see what advice I can get from
> the  voices of experience here,
>
> I am planning to retire from medicine next year...and the closer I
> get, the more delighted I am ...really anxious to do it.
>
> But at the same time, the more I find myself having second
> thoughts...  mostly gee I'll miss it...I love it, I get so much out
> of it...
>
> I can't do my medical stuff forever, but frankly I'm surprised at
> how I feel...
>
> am I normal ?  what to do ?

Steve, there is nothing abnormal about hesitation in leaving
Medicine. I was born into a Medical family, and spent my youth
studying and my adulthood practicing. As much as it is a part of my
life, it is also changing, and there are many things I dislike about
the new "industry". As well, I am changing. 10 years ago, I could not
understand someone feeling happy to depart from life, I'm in not
hurry, but I believe I now see how you change yourself. I would love
to try something new, but it is hard to leave the security of my
current situation, so as long as I can fit in a few "extras", I'll
keep going a bit longer, but Medicine is not the only interest I have
in life, and when the time comes, I will happily move away and begin
new projects. When I leave however, it will be pretty final. I am
sure I will not be able to keep up with the rapid changes we are
seeing if I don't continue to work close to full time.

The key IMHO is what you plan to do. If you have plans and security
then you will be active and happy in retirement. If like my father,
your first and real love is Medicine, you will hanker after it and
regret losing your life until you really are too old to work.

Good luck with the decision

Cheers and here's luck

Alastair

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Well, Some...at Least One...of the Greats Do)