Subject: [Leica] Re:M8 DNG vs DMR DNG
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Fri Nov 3 18:56:48 2006

Ted

I am curious as to one thing. While most of this arcane jargon is
familiar to me does any of it make better images? Are any of the images
( and I am including long-time pro shooters in this) better with
digital? Damn, I got PS a long, long time back. Love using it and don't
miss a darkroom at all, even though I spend years in them. My M6's
become digital when I scan the films. Scan the darn film and save as
tiffs. Would it be better to shoot with an M8 and save as raw. Will an
M8 at max performance give better quality than a M6 with a roll of Velvia?

Aside from the immediate gratification of looking at the images as you
go along I'd guess the M6/Velvia/AdobePS has quite an edge. Both in the
end result and the effective cost. $5000 for a freaking body strikes me
as a bean counters delight. I've been on a lot of assignments over the
years and had to repair equipment on return. A bag full of M8s could
finance a hell of a retirement, to your own Island.
:-)                                       One other thing.....Would you
be a bit bothered by having a nice 50 1.4 Summilux which has to loose
some of its usefulness when put on an M8. Or  worse, a 21 2.8 ASPH?

I don't know the answers but certainly have the questions. Am I just old
and set in my ways, much like many of the seniors were when I got
started in the biz?

Walt