Subject: [Leica] Piercings and Tatoos
From: dennis at hale-pohaku.com (Dennis Painter)
Date: Tue Aug 2 23:27:25 2005

I will explain what has been related to me about arranged marriages in China
with
the caveat that I may well be inaccurate or incomplete. I do think that many
of us
are making a mistake to comment and/or judge something we do not have the
knowledge or background to understand. I also think we have to be careful
about
judging other's culture using our standards.

The family is all important to the Chinese. The children are reared with that
deeply ingrained and know that the parents will work very hard to arrange
the best
possible marriage for both sons and daughters, neither have a "veto" on the
decision. In fact to show any sign of not accepting the parents decision
would
dishonor the entire family. To bring dishonor is unforgivable.

The parents of both families will confer over a long period of time to
ensure that
the two will be compatible and that  the marriage successful, for if not it
will
bring shame to the families.

Is the wife in this marriage subservient? well I suppose it depends on your
definition, she is "second in command" to the husband, but she is as
important as
him within the family unit. He will confide and consult with her but he will
make
the final decisions.

To say that this system is somehow flawed because the husband and wife do
not make
their own marriage decisions is to apply the standards of your culture to
another
culture. Perhaps if the people of the world could stop doing this there
would be
less strife and conflict.

My limited knowledge is with respect to the people of China, no doubt there
are
other societies and cultures that have different customs.

Times are, and have, been changing bringing changes to families throughout
the
world especially in urban areas. Are these changes good? I hope so, I
suppose time
will tell.

I do hope some of our Asian members will correct my errors an omissions, off
list
if they wish, but no matter what I most certainly will not feel insulted to
be set
right on any of this.

See you in the forum ;-)
Dennis