Subject: [Leica] Leica Solms LUG LHSA Buyout
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Feb 19 12:17:39 2005

Feli offered:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Solms LUG LHSA Buyout

> Ted, here's what would bother me if they went belly up.
>
> Of course my cameras, all nine of them, would still work tomorrow and
> probably would continue to do so
> as long as there was film and I could get them fixed. It's just that the M
> series is my tool of choice and I really don't like shooting with anything
> else. I'm not a big fan of SLR cameras and certainly will not get a point
> and shoot. Of course someone else could step up to the plate and build
> another RF, be it film or digital, but will it be as good?
> Cosina makes some nice cameras, but let's be honest, the Bessa is no
> Leica. So, there it is. I would be sad
> to see Leica go, because I would lose my favorite TOOL.<,,

Hi feli,
Well I agree with you about it being a favourite tool, no question for me
also. But I'm moving with the common sense of the times as I have through
out my career, whether equipment, solutions or film choice. Because if you
do not take the best of the advances to your benefit as they come along, you
will be left behind and die.

Sure there'd be a nostalgia sadness if leica were to fold. But I wouldn't
grieve for a second simply because even though my Leica's are my tools of
trade, I'm sure those I have will still be working fine long after I've gone
sometime in the next 30 years. ;-)

However, if Leica should go crashing and flaming out I don't doubt for a
minute a Japanese corporation would buy it up in a heart beat simply because
there's still a good name to Leica despite the fact many young folks know
nothing about it.

But in the hands of a big Japanese organization the world would be spinning
Leica in no time. They'd work the "Leica images of greatness to death!"
However, they'd build it around a digital version of some M type and also
film as I expect it to be around for a very long time yet. The new owners
would pump the "Leica World's greatest film camera now fully digital. Use it
and your pictures will have the look of greatness as seen in film or better!
;-) Into a promotion size Leica, Solms never imagined possible. Quite
possibly never had the economic means to do so.

Besides if Leica, Solms closes, there are so many new camera's still in the
world, not to mention thousands of "pre-owned" that you and I would have a
fine selection of M's for work well into the next century!  You'll never
lose your favourite tool, Leica closing or not.

ted

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Leica Solms LUG LHSA Buyout)
Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Leica Solms LUG LHSA Buyout)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Leica Solms LUG LHSA Buyout)