Subject: [Leica] [Leica} Tina's Drobos... Update: All loaded.
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 09:59:50 -1000

If there are any of you still interested in the terribly nerdy, and not
Leica related, IT based information of this subject, I continue my tale....
Those that do not care, can hit the delete key and save your time and
patience for other things.....

Tina has all her images, 40.2TB of them, now on one Synology NAS.? At this
moment, she is directing LR to find all the new places for these images.?
Not a fast task, but a necessary one.

FYI, the copy speed of the Drobos to the NAS was 5TB/ DAY..... the 40TB of
this installation, would have taken 8 Days running 24/7. I made some errors
and there were some duplicated folders, so it took longer... about 12 days.
? The Drobo was directly plugged into the back of the NAS, and the NAS was
running directly with the USB port,, no computer in the "middle".? This is
the fastest configuration.? The copy was done by use of the faster O/S of
the NAS, not Windows.? (This is SOOOOO nerdy,, if you wish to know more,
contact me directly.? )

The Drobo source files are being preserved for a while until we are sure all
the images have been copied properly, none forgotten or misplaced.? They
sit on a shelf, without power ( or purpose) for now.? Later they will be
cannibalized for the HDD inside, to go into her ProDrives for a archive
backup to the NAS.

If anyone has interest in Drobos, and has the insane ( Value judgement is
mine) death wish to use these, please contact? Tina, directly. It is not
time to get rid of them yet, but you should check with her to make
arrangements....

I do not suspect there will be a big stampede, but who knows?

Note on the Probox:? These reasonably cheap ( few hundred $$$) HDD
enclosures have an interesting feature that I will use when we get that
far... they
have an eSATA port.? So does the NAS ( not all do).? This is of value
because eSATA is significantly faster (so I am told, 5GB/Sec on USB 3.0,
6GB/Sec
for eSATA) then USB 3.0.? Backup times will be reduced significantly.

If you are thinking about also putting all your images on one HDD array, NAS
or RAID or not, AND you have an eSATA port on your computer ( some do,
others do not) this is probably the best way to wire up your computer... use
eSATA to ProBox directly rather than use USB to make the connection faster.

Be Aware that eSATA does not support hot-swapping, therefore the computer
has to be restarted to recognize the connected device.? Not a big deal.?
Especially if you have only one eSATA device.

More to come as I get everything working.... better, faster, and more
protected.

Frank Filippone BMWRed735i at Gmail.com

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] [Leica} Tina's Drobos... Update: All loaded.)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] [Leica} Tina's Drobos... Update: All loaded.)