Subject: [Leica] [Leica} Drobos... If you have them what can you expect?
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 08:22:41 -1000

Almost correct...... LR MUST HAVE the catalog NOT on any form of LAN.? OK on
USB external drives or anywhere inside the computer case.? Your images on
the LAN are OK....just not the catalog.

The issue is keep the catalog from being mangled if two users are opening or
rather, /*saving*/ to the catalog at the same time. ( Short version.?
Long version is too long and not more interesting.)

Your AT+T internet access is very fast.... Mine is limited ( choked down to
) 10-11 MBPS.? Not terribly useful for moving data between locations.? I
keep my backup to everything in two locations, and would have liked to WAN
the two together.? But one location that I have access to has a 10MBPS
limit that I can not upgrade.? That limits the practical way to practically
move 200GB files.? So I sneaker net them together using a home made SSD
based 8TB Portable USB drive.? Not always in synch as I would prefer, but
cheap.

On Tina's box, the plan is to use simple wired LAN.? Single Computer is a
few feet from NAS.? She is not currently using any LAN features... she
WIFI's or USB's everything.?? Not a terribly weird nor rare setup for a home
setup.

Going USB and non-LAN ( gong USB connected HDD array)? would have saved her
only $500.? Less than 25% of the total expenditure and had many many
compromises.

The Drobo boxes were the bees knees when they were introduced and mainly
because they were USB connected to the computer.? Easier than the then
current LAN installation.? But nowadays,, the advantage is mostly gone,
there are big big HDD JBOD enclosures that can be purchased cheaper.

LAN is still faster......then any USB solution, at least in theory.

I will ask Tina if I can email the group with information on how the
decisions were made to use this particular NAS as her solution.? That may
help
others in the future.... Bot not till after I get it all working....

We are currently at the stage that the NAS will be introduced to the
computer for the first time.? LAN setup, initialization of the NAS, setting
up
folders, etc are the next stage.? It is the stage that requires the most
focus for me.

For those that have read this far and are really interested, everyone will
tell you adding a NAS on a LAN is easy. NOPE!? It is a really pretty
arduous task, unless you are an IT trained person.? There is an immense
amount of nonsensical jargon.?? I am a EE, but my background is totally IC
related,? No Software at all.? None of the computer stuff was there when I
was in school.? It has taken me about 4 years to get this far, and on my
systems, I now have about 90% of everything working really well, the other
10% was over expectation.

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at Gmail.com