Subject: [Leica] Portraits with the Noctilux
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 14:15:59 -0500

People seem to get a great warm and fuzzy joy from putting wonderful
limitations on the Noctilux that they get from other list writers they can
find with a search and pass on or coming up with their own from thin air:
Only designed to be shot wide open. Don?t stop it down!
        Shoot it any f stop you want to it all comes out great
Only good at night, that?s what its designed for.
        Works great any hour of the day or night.
Very difficult to get in focus.
        It's very good at nailing focus with a Leica rangefinder camera it
was designed to shoot with and I've heard no complaints on shooting it with
a mirrorless. I'm sure adapted to an SLR  itwould be good too.
In general NOT a general purpose lens but a special purpose lens.
        Use it for everything, all the time.
It has a disturbing out of focus background bokeh. Swirly etc.
        The out of focus background, bokeh is the reason why many people get
the lens in the first place. It's every smooth and non distracting*
It blocks part of the viewfinder and does not focus as close as the other
Leica M glass making it impossible to shoot with.
        It just works.
It cost too much money.
        You only have to pay for it once.

* To me a side issue for getting fast glass is the subject isolation issue.
The reason why you buy a fast lens should be to shoot fast pictures. Capture
the action. Be able to shoot in less light.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 2/19/20, 12:40 PM, "LUG on behalf of Ted Grant via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    NOPE!
    THE LEICA NOCTILUX F 1.0 IS MADE FOR EVERY SUBJECT  THIS PHOTOJOURNALIST
has
    worked on!
    A FEW USES BY MYSELF OVER THE YEARS!!!!
    1: FALL CATTLE ROUND-UP'S ON RANCHES IN
       (Alberta CANADA,) WHILE RIDING HORSE BACK:
    2: auto manufacturing-vehicle assembly:WINDSOR- CAN:
    3: medical operations in hospital O.R.'s:
       OTTAWA- TORONTO-VICTORIA
    4: babies born (90 some)VICTORIA-OTTAWA
    and THREE COFFEE-TABLE SIZE MEDICAL BOOKS PUBLISHED!

    AND THAT'S NOT ANYWHERE NEAR THE FULL NUMBER OF NOCTILUX USES I HAVE
    EXPERIENCED!!! AND THOSE YET TO COME????? IF YOU CAN SEE IT? YOU CAN
SHOOT
    IT WITH A NOCTILUX LENS!!! PROVIDING YOU DON'T REQUIRE A 400MM TELE!!!!!!
    ;-)
    CHEERS,
    Dr.Ted GRANT O.C.