Subject: [Leica] Nikon et al vs MIrrorless cameras
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 13:11:50 -0500

This implies sales on the Z6, Z7 and Z50 camera have been slow in sales and
I'm pretty sure that has not been the case at all I think it's been a boom
for Nikon on all levels. I was in the market for a Nikon body  last January
and the new and first out Nikon mirrorless Z6, Z7 were just out and were
getting a ton of exposure. An innovated forward looking light hearted person
would have gone that route. Not me like you were saying Nikon is a day one
with mirrorless and the last thing I'm going to do is invest some big change
into a first out. Turns out I was wrong these cameras worked out perfectly
and paved the way for the recent release the DX cropped format Z50 which
would really save my on Tylenol and Aleve bills. (this is not a product
endorsement)
I still say avoid first outs. And the D50 is not a first out. And its cheap
and lightweight and compact as all get out. And that tiny feather weight
zoom lens it often comes with is a near pancake could do me fine for years.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 2/14/20, 12:45 PM, "LUG on behalf of Frank Filippone via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

      Peter and Howard have been having a debate on Nikon ( specifically) Z6
    camera progress to replacing all DSLR with Mirrorless models.

    A different perspective....
    First the interchange.....
    The loan program shows how desperate Nikon is to convince Nikon users to
    move from DSLRs to the EVF models. The latter are competent, as you can
see,
    but I am not sure that they will be as versatile as the old mirror prisms
    on the DSLRs - especially for the flying bird photography that I do

    Now the perspective....
    The first Nikon camera to be digital was the D1 in 1999.  20 years ago.
    They have done a wonderful job of improving and refining the camera(s)
    since then.  The first Nikon mirrorless is the Z6/7 introduced in 2018.
It
    is to be understood that the Mirrorless camera has not had the
development
    time and effort that the DSLR models have.  Plus the business decision to
    not develop too quickly and have all your DSLR sales go to zero because
of
    the "better" mirrorless model. ( incentive to NOT change or improve).
    A few years ago I predicted the end of the DSLR domination.  That is
    becoming a fact.  Manufacturing infrastructure at Nikon is predominantly
    mechanically inclined employees.  Mirrorless camera require significantly
    less mechanical assembly... they are basically computers with some
    mechanical integration.  THEY ARE INHERENTLY LESS COSTLY TO PRODUCE.
    The Sony A7 caught Nikon lollygagging around.. and Nikon declared the
Sony
    technology to be inferior...... never going to work as well.... Never
going
    to be able to AF as well.  Never going .... you fill in the final
    part.....   Then came the Sony A9, which made Nikon shut up.  The A9 was
    created to defy Nikon.  Fix all the naysayers comments, especially the
    Birders and teh Sports guys.....  Then came the A9II which further
    strengthened the Mirrorless position.....
    Nikon is  in no different position than they were a few years ago..
denying
    the obvious superiority of the mirrorless technology because of their
heavy
    infrastructure investments on mirror-box manufacturing.
    Canon has stated no new DSLR lens development.  Guess the word is
received
    at Canon..... go Mirrorless.
    If you want a bird imaging camera, with the Nikon brand on front, it is
    coming.  As good as the D5 or D500.  Better.  Just wait a couple more
    years....... maybe sooner.....
    Because you ain't going to see new, high end DSLR development in the
    future.  Brand N or C..  Or other.

    Frank Filippone
    BMWRed735i at gmail.com