Subject: [Leica] One way to justify a M10R
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 10:59:30 -0500
References: <LO2P265MB1247E2F9A81B99C95288ECC0F91D0@LO2P265MB1247.GBRP265.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM> <29D3A4C2-4FE0-4045-A1FA-712E51D06A83@teleport.com> <CAOgCMTTdrP3tVccU9POsivqgUFNuEQZ1W3njqzXO27HSp6ryfw@mail.gmail.com> <81511449-B5FF-4C24-B967-571F9E7A6D83@rabinergroup.com> <FE915677-9D50-4BB5-B31E-540F7BEDF709@gmail.com> <2BB97574-7F87-4EC8-B245-3625A931BED7@rabinergroup.com> <5EBE3334-B60F-4981-A104-1C1F410E774D@gmail.com>

Did not know we were arguing the croppedness of the APS-C format! Which is
of course cropped!
The APS-C format was called "cropped" so people don?t think it's turning
their 100mm lens into a 150mm lens.
It's just cropping the image a 100mm lens takes to give you in effect the
rust. You'd get from a 150mm lenses maybe maid for film cameras.

Medium format is complicated but medium format film cameras could chop up
the pieces of medium format film into different sized pieces.
6x6cm maybe the most common and 6x7, or 6x 9 or 6x12 for less shots on a
roll of film as they are bigger.
On the smaller side there is 645 film which is an A16 back on a Hasselblad
which crops its normally 60x60mm pix to 60x45mm.
So that?s in some ways similar to when digital first hit and we were all
shooing 1.5x crop or close to it in 2001.
The lens image circle was quite larger than the image it ended up making on
the film. It was cropped more so than usual.
It was very common to shoot 4x5 inch film which a 210mm so called normal
lens which was capable of in a pinch shooting 5x7 film with almost no shifts
or tilts but would still do a simple job.
I agree it's great a lens circle is just big enough to fit its final format
without loose cropping. It's an ideal
I got this year 3 DX lenses designed for the DX format which is what my new
D500 camera is.
I never use any of them. I use instead the 1.8G's I got also this year which
are full frame lenses. The 20, 24, 28, 35, 50, and 85 1.8gs I use every day
on my D500. They are not off balance as my D500 is heavy then my full frame
D750 and overall has a way more solid feel.
A DX lens should be sharper as the format is smaller but none of them seem
to match of to the full frame glass I am using.
I also like the non-toy like felling of full frame glass. But if my tendons
don?t hold up or nerves or muscles I'll have to find ways to go lighter.
Like use my Dx glass. Get the DX 35 1.8 and see how it holds up to my full
frame 35 1.8G.  The DX weights close to nothing. Is tiny. And toy like.
I may be missing your point but you also may be missing mine.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 2/7/20, 10:06 AM, "LUG on behalf of Philippe via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    Keep to my questions Mark please ;-)

    Is a FF M digital a cropped medium format sensor?

    Or alternately, is a medium format sensor an enlargment of a full frame?

    Should the answer to either question be yes, then I might agree that an
APS-C is cropped.

    Else, and since we use lenses that match the formats, they are all full
frame, and lose nothing on the edges.

    Amities

    Philippe

    > Le 7 f?vr. 2020 ? 15:51, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> a
?crit :

    > Well if a medium format 60x60mm camera has an 80mm lens on it that
lens is not a telephoto lens like it is on a 35mm camera. Its a standard
normal for medium format film square!  No cropping comes into play. (The
diagonal of 60x60mm is pretty close to 80mm.)
    > Digital medium formats are a tad smaller than film medium formats
cameras so they cost less than a million dollars. And more people buy them.
    > But with this gorgeous to die for GFX100 I am overwhelmed by the idea
of shooting with over a hundred megepixies!
    > But maybe I should really be overwhelmed by the fact that it's made
with physically way bigger sized medium format sensor? (33 ? 44mm)