Subject: [Leica] Print's not Dead
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 20:45:27 -0400

I?m just back from the local Barnes and Noble in the Caf? which is my home
away from home hangout. I walk in the door and on my right are dozens of
racks of magazines and newspapers I'll grab one of and go up the stairs and
order an Earl Grey tea and read it for free. Then sometimes buy it! I could
not find a "Shutterbug" today so when I got back here just now I Googled it
to see if it went under. It didn?t. it's still there and the online version.
Maybe they just ran out at the bookstore I was just at. I hope they're still
getting it! I usually read it as do a lot of people. And I still read
Popular Photography. And dozens of news magazines and art magazines.
When digital was invented a segment of people online rushed to say "film is
dead". There much be some kind of odd trill in making blanket meaningless
statements.
We live in an age now people just don?t want to put down their smart phones.
And many read their books and magazines and get their news feeds on the same
screen. Which is good because anything not on that screen they have little
interest in.
Printed news has been cut way back but very much still around.  Most often
in the end the internet edition gets a lot more exposure.
The sign when I click on the email reads:
"If you're reading this, print's not dead. Subscribe to the Times Bulletin
Today." And it's being sold in a coin operated thing on the sidewalk. We
have fewer of those now on the sidewalks around here they used to be in a
line of a dozen different newspapers to choose from  and I'd take pictures
of them in the snow. And there used to be lot of phone booths.
Under it it says with some irony "Purchase a print" with a list of prices.
Its referring to photographs; a thing which exists on paper. And for every
paper photograph now there are a million jpegs. But I went to the Armory
Show last week and serious photography printing is thriving. But for a lot
of people even with hyper expensive cameras a jpeg is a photograph. I don?t
quite relate.
Also if you read the LUG there is a real faction of people saying that
photojournalism is dead.  That job does not exist anymore.
Big news to the thousands of  photojournalists hitting deadlines every day.
Working for the newspapers and magasines which don't exist any more.
The point of an image of a newspaper vending machine is that people put
quarters in and on the honor system take a newspaper out and read it. Its
evidence of an ongoing thing. Just look at the cover of the newspaper!

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 3/12/19, 6:44 PM, "LUG on behalf of Tina Manley via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    I hope that continues to be true but I have my doubts.  As the WaPo says,
    "Democracy dies in darkness."  It's pretty dark as local newspapers are
    closing by the hundreds.  On-line is just not the same.

    Thanks for the reminder.

    Tina

    On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 5:44 PM Christopher Crawford <
    chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com> wrote:

    > The sign on this newspaper machine says "Print's Not Dead. Subscribe
    > Today." It is in the small town of Convoy, Ohio and the paper is the
Van

    --
    Tina Manley
    www.tinamanley.com