Subject: [Leica] Working on B&W
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 10:05:05 -0500

Black and white digital demands a heck of a lot more from a photographer /
owner of a digital camera.
He's got to get right in there and make tones separate or its.. mush I tell
you!  Lots of dodging and burning just like the old days in the darkroom.
...using the right color blend to act as filtration when you do the black
and white from color conversion. ...

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 2/17/20, 2:53 PM, "LUG on behalf of Ken Carney via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    Thanks you for looking, Don and Peter.  Yes, I went overboard on the one
    with the woman and baby.  Here is the original before I worked it over:

    http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/kcarney/_DSF5278-Edit-3-Edit.jpg.html

    Hitchcockian is kind now that I look again.  This was in a children's
    home outside of Jerusalem.  The others were just walking around in the
    Tenderloin, San Francisco.  Sometimes I think my photos are a little
    flat, and I discovered I could improve on that by adding a PS adjustment
    layer for gradients, and using front-to-back gradient in the photo
    toning section.  It tends to enhance the blacks and whites, a little
    better I think than using curves, and I can paint the layer in or out as
    needed. But not on this image again.

    Ken

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/kcarney/_DSF5278-Edit-3-Edit-Edit.jpg.html