Subject: [Leica] Enhance Details
From: tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 14:23:48 -0500
References: <CA+yJO1BAGhbQ35-JvcFSazi6n+mF7F+PDHGvU8UgaTNOpbXkqg@mail.gmail.com> <LO2P265MB1247FC77FB98D527E19F552DF9650@LO2P265MB1247.GBRP265.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM> <CA+yJO1CCTmBBdt77dCTNxX5GcsVJZ16HDgSLkanWtSKeJgm1KA@mail.gmail.com> <LO2P265MB1247707E73027636E4FD2404F9650@LO2P265MB1247.GBRP265.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM> <CA+yJO1A5Aqdx5M2AGuTguCvOCVNbx=CfEijhyS49rDF1SDsXGg@mail.gmail.com> <LO2P265MB1247ADE69A889D1CF93BAC4FF9650@LO2P265MB1247.GBRP265.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM> <CA+yJO1CPCem_+2gqyYspJk1L8VcsgX8v_+roAzucqCMwARB-pw@mail.gmail.com> <CABXy406uE9_FxaAQhY2v3qBJCAEx_7gYvrQ+uQgWEkSHbhLbmw@mail.gmail.com>

And, once again, the original files are all still there, untouched, thanks
to Lightroom.  I often post photos that are unmanipulated but the critics
seem to zero in on the ones that I have exaggerated on purpose for stock
sales.  I know what sells.  I have been selling stock photography for over
40 years.  Tastes have changed throughout the years and what once would
have been a best-seller is not even noticed today.  In order to sell, the
photos have to stand out from the crowd.  Alamy, my main but not only stock
agency, now has over 156 million photos in their files.  If you search for
Travel, you get this selection:

https://www.alamy.com/search.html?CreativeOn=1&adv=1&ag=0&all=1&creative=&et=0x000000000000000000000&vp=0&loc=0&qt=travel&qn=&lic=6&lic=1&imgt=0&archive=1&dtfr=&dtto=&hc=&selectdate=&size=0xFF&aqt=&epqt=&oqt=&nqt=&gtype=0

Notice the ones that come to the top of the search?  They are exactly as
you describe - exaggerated and painterly.  That's because that's what
sells.  I am working on my taxes now and Alamy tells me that I made $76,377
last year from the photos that I have with them.  That's not nearly as much
as it used to be but it's certainly better than it would be if I posted
only the photos that I prefer and that are more "natural".  I have the
"natural", unmanipulated photos which I save for my own clients who tend to
be non-profits who pay nothing except the knowledge that you are helping to
raise money for worthy causes.  I can only afford to use my photography to
help others because I make money with the stock.  Did you even notice the
photos I posted of Syrian refugees??  I've raised over $50,000 with those,
so far, 100% of which goes to the education of Syrian children.

Rant over.  I'm going back to manipulating my photos of Bangladesh so they
will sell.  This one will be more painterly and exaggerated when it is
posted on Alamy:

https://pbase.com/tinamanley/image/168812581

Tina

--