Subject: [Leica] Leica SL lens question
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 03:52:24 -0400

Photography wise I?m glad I?m living in the future now I find it very
convenient.
I have enough memory in my camera holding two cards for a trip to the next
scenic galaxy which is the Andromeda with no strain.
And that?s taking the scenic route off the main thruways.
And pulling over to the side of the road every five minutes.
And that?s shooting full NEF?s which are raw files.
Anything that moves, or holds still and anything in between.
My new camera I?ve had for a month now is a Leica D750 I?m not sure I
officially announced that on the LUG yet. Its rocked my little world.
It?s got framelines in it for 1.2 times and 1.5 times.
Loving it.!! Right now, I have a hulking 14mm 2.8 on it. But I can shoot at
DX making it a 21mm or at 1.2 making it a 17mm lens friendlier than 14mm.
And the framelines make all the difference. I can see around my pictures
again!

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

On 6/9/17, 8:44 PM, "LUG on behalf of Tina Manley"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of tmanley
at gmail.com> wrote:

    I carried only the SL and 24-90 and 50/1.4 to Syria.  I figured if
anything
    broke, I would use my cell phone.  Nothing broke.  I carried the camera
    with the 24-90 90% of the time.  I used the 50/1.4 for portraits of kids
    mostly.  I walked a lot carrying all of my equipment.  I'm a 71 year old
    woman with two artificial knees.  The camera and lens were never too
heavy
    for me.  I never got a sore neck or shoulder from carrying the camera.
The
    auto-focus on this camera is phenomenal.  I carried the M6 and Noctilux
for
    many, many years with 300 rolls of film in a backpack.  This is certainly
    equal or easier as far as I'm concerned.  Two tiny little 128 GB cards
held
    all of my photos.

    Tina

    On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 8:28 PM, <hopsternew at gmail.com> wrote:

    > Bob I should have more correctly said that the ROM functions with the R
    > lenses are not relevant with the M lenses and there is no mechanical
    > linkage for aperture operation with M lenses as we know.
    > And yes the M optical dot coding is relevant.
    > My love for the 24-90 and OIS is not undiluted I confess, or at least
the
    > jury is still out for me.
    > The way I use the SL focus is to use a single AF point in AFs
operating in
    > MF with the rear button (as I was taught for fashion/beauty with DSLRs)
    > But I don?t always see what I think ought to be bitingly sharp even
though
    > I am typically f/9.5 and be there for studio.
    > It certainly can be but maybe I need more practice. To be fair when you
    > are seeing S and SL files from same environment at 100% on your editing
    > monitor.....
    > Maybe the OIS is making my slower exposures sharper but I am not
noticing
    > it. It?s a thing to remember when I go to tripod though.
    >
    > As an aside to that let?s see if all of those acronyms provoke
comments!

    > Handling wise for me the SL-and 24-90 doesn?t feel appreciably lighter
    > that  the S with say 70 and the S is much better ergonomically as far
as
    > holding comfort. That changes if you put the battery grip on the SL
    > Without that it is the sharp lower edge that bites me a bit after an
hour
    > or two and a few hundred frames. Again it obviously it depends on how
you
    > are shooting.  Sitting or kneeling on the studio floor hand-holding
that
    > thing, align focus point compose shoot, maybe a frame every three
seconds
    > for sets of 30 or 50. Maybe 300-500 frames in a couple of hours, more
if I
    > am shooting with both cameras.
    >

    > Sent from Mail for Windows 10

N & C
    > cameras she sees. YMMV
    > Good luck,
    > Bob
    >
    > Bob Adler
    > www.robertadlerphotography.com
    >
    > > On Jun 8, 2017, at 9:33 PM, Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > Aram you might like to research the exact functionality and cost for
the
    > > adaptor as part of your considerations? Doug may be able to comment
    > there?
    > > I have the M adaptor but that has no linkages or contacts at all of
    > course
    > >
    > >> On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 at 2:21 pm, Aram <leica_r8 at hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Hi.  I was wondering about an alternative lens for the SL.  My
biggest
    > >> gripe (aside from price) is the weight of the system and had a
thought
    > of a
    > >> way to perhaps lighten the load a bit.  I have the 35-70/4 but I
have
    > >> always thought I could use a bit more range.  So, how about the
Leica
    > 28-90
    > >> ASPH?  I hear it is a pretty darn good lens, weighs about 50% less
than
    > the
    > >> new 24-90 for the SL and can be had for a lot less money.  Does
anybody
    > >> know how it would compare optically with the 24-90?  I found some
MTF

    --
    Tina Manley
    www.tinamanley.com