Subject: [Leica] Mary Ellen Mark /// CAPTIONS?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 15:47:26 -0700
References: <CAJ4y7gxSz9hLqpZZpLVza2i=2g7XXoK0vRa3K7AWaPx04ATH_Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ1DBxdjeTVCioa1W9X7fH1MKNLMTDb6tZjPwhCh1TMy4w@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ4y7gyYPYu0Z7YSm6yHWSDNjqcekEKNHdjs50CafoMqbycwJA@mail.gmail.com> <024B74F7-8186-4129-962D-B8893651D517@icloud.com> <CAH1UNJ3TpS8eS61FJ0nLRHiC6OiGPE9hXC_mxoeEFq1iiyySwg@mail.gmail.com> <4D6BE0D0-0771-4AF1-97AB-E37D7C1807BB@icloud.com> <000301d09a46$72e51b70$58af5250$@ca> <F0BAF700-2160-46F4-980D-2D308C3C91EE@icloud.com>

Hello George,

The NFB assignments were a one person event like me alone. So I had to make
and take all kinds of information for caption writing later. All the notes
taken on location after caption writing were filed with the assignment
negatives and contact sheets for future reference. As well as a full set of
captions.

The magazine assignments were always great as it was usually a two person
story. Photographer--- Writer so it was nothing more than a constant flow of
photo things only. Had to love it as each and everyone was different! And
never knew where until called.

I had assignments where I flew Ottawa-- Montreal, met writer at the airport.
We then flew Montreal--Paris over night, arriving sort of dawn next morning.
Check into hotel have shower and dress. Get a bite to eat and work on the
assignment all day. Evenings were usually free so we'd go to some classy
location, have a great meal and entertainment evening. Hit the sack and fly
back to Canada the next morning early. Go to the magazine hand film over to
darkroom people for souping. When dry make photo selection with writer and
major photo editor. If everything is cool?

Call a taxi to airport, fly home to Ottawa and have a nice supper with  "she
who must be obeyed!" :-) Oh my goodness those were the days and great
assignments week after week all year long never knowing which client would
be next. Nor where in the world?

60 years of that kind of a photographer life is a great teacher of "HAPPY
SNAPPING" And the stories are endless! :-)

cheers,
ted