Subject: [Leica] Mary Ellen Mark On Vimeo for Leica
From: gerry.walden at icloud.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 19:10:22 +0100

Jayanand

The situation to which i was referring, and the one often quoted, is that of
a man obviously in a civil war situation holding a AK47 and firing it
through a hole in the wall. Now, is he a terrorist or a freedom fighter? The
caption immediately steers the viewers image one way or the other. Thinking
of my own work, I am currently involved in a documentary piece about food
banks, and have (for example) a volunteer checking the date code on some
food. In the general context of the finished set it should be clear what she
is doing but out of context as a single image it could, with the aid of a
caption, be either ?volunteer checking date code? or ?woman considering a
purchase?. Captions can be misleading. It has nothing to do with the
laziness of the photographer.

Gerry

Gerry Walden
023 8046 3076