Subject: [Leica] Cold War Space Radars - UFOs?
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 09:53:09 -0500

Douglas?

Thanks for the interesting information about the Yorkshire moors. Must have
been spooky to work at at Fylingdales?especially at night!

Actually, there was nothing particularly secret about these installations.
They were just radar stations using technology developed in the 1950s and
'60s. They sent their data to a central facility called the CC&DF inside
Cheyenne Mountain south of Colorado Springs (which was my last duty station
in this system, before I changed gears by going to medical school). Now, the
newer installation you mentioned sounds like a phased-array radar, which
steers the beam electronically and can generated multiple beams
simultaneously; there's maybe some classified technology there.

The more nuanced answer to your question about unidentified objects is that
we would not likely have recognized one if we'd seen it! The system's
mission was to look for space objects with ballistic (i.e., free-fall)
trajectories that were either a closed orbit (satellite) or one that
intersected the surface of the Earth (as an ICBM warhead would do). Objects
with none of these conditions were ignored, and in any case only data
relating to position, velocity, and intensity of the radar reflection were
generated; a radar doesn't produce an image. Moreover, the radar was
programmed to ignore anything closer to it than a satellite in low Earth
orbit, say 90 miles or so. Alien spacecraft traveling under power in the
atmosphere would be ignored by the computer as being aircraft and/or too
close to be a threat object, and one traveling under power in near-Earth
space would be ignored as not being ballistic. Such a thing would have shown
up on-screen (as a computer-generated blip, not an image), but the data
would have been discarded as being irrelevant. An alien craft actually on
orbit, like a satellite, and generating a strong reflection, WOULD generate
data that would be saved and sent to the CC&DF for analysis, and would lead
to the generation of a new-satellite file. Such an unexpected finding would
have prompted an extreme-priority designation that would have tasked the
sites to gather maximum data on it every pass. When it moved on, out of
orbit, disappearing suddenly without "decaying" due to atmospheric friction,
this would have generated extreme consternation. I never heard of any such
object. Even new Soviet satellites were known about virtually as soon as
they were launched, and nothing I was aware of generated the level of
intense interest that the sudden appearance of a sizable, previously unknown
object in orbit would have. Of course, there are lots of bits of space junk
originating from exploding fuel tanks, the occasional collision, etc., many
thereby driven into new orbits, and so small as to be marginally or
irregularly detectable, that are monitored without their origin ever being
identified.

Of course, such aliens would presumably be highly capable of evading
detection if they wanted to. They could simply stay out of sight of radars
that could detect them as unidentified orbiting objects. Or if an alien ship
used technology that gave it a low radar cross-section, and were on an orbit
that had characteristics typical of satellites and the rocket bodies used to
launch space probes, it presumably would not occasion anything other than
routine interest, nor would its appearance or disappearance be thought
mysterious.

I kept constantly hoping, though!

?howard