Subject: [Leica] Cold War Space Radars - UFOs?
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 17:41:09 +0100
References: <67B24A6E-51E8-42C5-81D1-39BD87F0B007@acm.org><DD27B927-1F94-4007-BECB-1FA60F7CA23D@bex.net><CAE3QcF4s7To3bM3x4jOWtApgqFZMq4jMxExdbUVMtkRNRbEOMw@mail.gmail.com><50FA9681.3080104@gmx.de> <02995148-152C-43CE-A032-48EBD017A28B@bex.net> <F1E76E0E7537455CABD0DFB7CB0CB9A2@Family> <EF061C4D-68DF-4CA5-809B-7683E9DBF3F7@bex.net> <50FBEE53.8030308@gmx.de> <4F36F120-593E-4483-B355-DE0B54091674@bex.net>

Howard,

I have actually walked past it at night - outside the
perimeter fence. It's on the route of the old corpse
way, which has been a long-distance walk for many years
- The Lyke Wake Walk - a competitive and very tough
walk that has to be finished within 24 hours. There
used to be a little badge in the form of a coffin for
everyone who completed it. It certainly looked eerie
looming out of the mist in the twilight.

The spookiest things along the walk are stumbling over
a sheep in pitch darkness, or the loud squawks when you
blunder into a nest of grouse!
That said, I would never have thought of walking it alone.

There have been cases of walkers inadvertently
trespassing on the site, being arrested by RAF police
with big dogs (now patrolled by a private security
force), having been questioned, "invited" to sign the
Official Secrets Act, and then being dropped off at the
main gate after an excellent breakfast. (not exactly
reaction with "extreme prejudice)

One story even involves a bus full of pensioners that
got lost in the fog and ended up between the golfballs
- probably as believable as UFO-sightings.:-)

Apparently, the new pyramid has 360? radar that covers
everything (still including Russia, but now also the
Middle East and N. Africa), but concentrates mainly on
locating orbiting junk.

Interesting is that the base is not marked on the
Ordnance Survey maps of the UK (at least not on the
1977 issue). But is very clearly marked on Russian maps
of the same period.

As far as I know, the most important "spy" site in the
area is Menwith Hill, the "Ear to the Sky" which,
according to local hearsay, monitors international
phone, e-mail and Internet traffic - purportedly for
the NSA - is a part of the ECHELON System, and may even
be involved in the control of drone attacks.

But, as ever, all you have to do is put a high fence
around it, put up unambiguous signs and post armed
guards, and you already have the next conspiracy
theory.:-)

Cheers
Douglas

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Cold War Space Radars - UFOs?)