Subject: [Leica] Cold War Space Radars
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 03:07:54 -0500

Another part of the defense system during the Cold War (and now) is the USAF
Spacetrack System and the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System (BMEWS). I
was part of this as a junior USAF officer from 1967 to 1971, first at a
satellite-tracking radar at Moorestown, NJ and later at BMEWS at Thule Air
Base, Greenland. Since Herb opened the door to photos of electronic
technology of this era, here's my offering.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/Cold+War+Space+Radar/

The AN/FPS-49 was the prototype that RCA developed for the USAF to use as a
tracker at the BMEWS sites in Greenland and Alaska. The tracker would lock
in on suspicious space objects picked up by the huge detection radars,
giving much finer information about the object's trajectory in order to
decide whether it represented a threat (i.e., could be an ICBM). Invariably
(needless to say!) these turned out to be low-orbiting or re-entering
satellites. After development the prototype, on the grounds of RCA in
Moorestown, was put into use by the Air Force to track satellites in order
to maintain up-to-date orbital elements for the benefit of BMEWS. This was
the 17th Surveillance Squadron on Moorestown Air Force Installation, quite
possibly the smallest patch of land in the whole Air Force inventory, about
the size of two football fields IIRC. It was my first Air Force assignment
out of ROTC.

Leica M2X, Canon 50/2 collapsible, available-light, handheld except for the
nocturnal time exposure. Scanned from Ektachrome shot in 1969.

?howard

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Cold War Space Radars)