Subject: [Leica] speed booster
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 14:43:31 -0500

Well, no. But a 35mm f/0.47, yes.

The Metabones is a focal reducer, the opposite of a tele-extender. Such are
well known to astroimagers for increasing the field of view of a telescope
and the brightness of the image it produces. If you use a positive lens to
reduce the effective focal length of an objective without restricting the
aperture, you have lowered the f-ratio. And that's what the Metabones does:
reduce the focal length by a factor of 0.71, which is approximately = ?2/2.
Since the brightness of an image at a given f.l. varies with the square of
the aperture (therefore inversely with the square of the f-ratio), reducing
the f.l. by a factor of ?2/2 thus brightens the image by a factor of 2, or a
full f-stop.

Question is, does the Metabones have the throat (entrance pupil I believe)
that would be required to accommodate the huge light cone from the full-open
Nocti?

It's related to the annoying fact that no passive optical assistance will
make an object appear brighter than it would be to the naked eye at a
distance where the object would appear the same size as the optic makes it
appear. No free lunches in optics. Gaining any reduction in f-stop without
decreasing the f.l., now that would be magic!

?howard