Subject: [Leica] Atlanta?
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 10:53:18 -0400

HI Richard,
I've been mostly silent the past three years but have lived in Atlanta for
the past 24 years.  As far as must see, what would you like to photograph
and will you have an automobile available?  Atlanta is a "new" city and the
public transportation mostly is a cross that connects the hospital district
to the airport and then an E/W run through downtown.

If you have a car then there are many more opportunities.  I am assuming
that the review will be in the midtown area which roughly corresponds to
14th and Peachtree.  Within walking distance is the High Museum which is
photogenic as a building both interior lobby and the exterior( there is a
typical Calder mobil out front).  For people watching, Piedmont park is a
short walk east about three blocks.  Adjacent to Piedmont Park is the
Atlanta Botanical Garden which can be very good for flowers, ferns, and
orchids.  They also have a small "virgin" forest that provides some solace
from the urban noise.

If you have time and transportation then I would recommend going out to the
Chattahoochee National Forest.  It extends for a very long distance so there
are many places to stop in.  The easiest is off of the northern ring road
I285 near the junction with I75.  Probably the best small scale is at Paper
Mill Rd which encompasses the ruins of a Civil War era mill but has good
sight lines and some smallish falls leading up to the river itself.  It can
also be found off Columns Dr and Johnson Ferry Rd. (I am assuming a smart
phone with navigation)

There is much more as in any big city but Atlanta can resemble a large
extended strip mall which can dull the senses.  Please drop me a line if
your trip gets more serious.  A cold draft at Manny's could be fun.