Subject: [Leica] Format output obviousness
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:03:02 -0400

You ask why because if the next guys images are looking a lot better than
yours its your obligation to find out what he/she's doing that your not.
If there's a huge obvious difference in quality between his stack of images
over yours its proably format. Sensor size. But what ever it is its obvious
you'd want to know.
But whatever it is it begs the question in most cases "what camera are you
using?"
In my case I when I stared out I was getting a lot better images than
another photographer down the street who was well known and was making a lot
more money than I was in Portland Oregon. He made no bones about being
threatened by the way my prints were looking and I have no secrets as to my
technique so when he asked me what I was doing I freely told him.
He was shooting in the studio with studio strobes with a white umbrella and
tri x.
I was shooting in the studio with studio strobes with a zebra umbrella and
Panatomic.
He went out and got a zebra umbrella. He got more contrast. But still he
didn't get my quality. In the end when he finally switched to slow film that
was of course what did it. For the most part.
In this case we were both using 35mm most of the time so it was not format.
But if you're using tri x with studio strobes you're being real stupid and
that should make a big difference. You'd think a guy like him would know
that but he didn't.
Also I was using Beutlers. He never went there and it showed.
You try to keep learning. Watching what's going on.
How'd that guy do that? Which film did that guy use for those shots?
Are those shots so good because he used slow film and a tripod? Or medium
format? You keep looking and asking and you learn what you need to do to get
your stuff looking the way you want it to look.
Sound obsesive or ridiculous? Then just keep doing what you're doing and see
how far you get. Obliviousness never paid. Not that I ever saw.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com