Subject: [Leica] Format output obviousness
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 04:03:14 -0400

Brand names maybe not though on and off many of us have claimed that your
Leica pix have "the Leica glow" the some can spot right off the light table.
Sal claimed that. I noticed the difference from my 11x14s with my very first
non cutting edge modern Leica lens than the results I'd gotten the past
decades with my nikon glass. Had I not noticed the difference I'd sure have
not gotten into Leica I could have gotten lots of peanut butter sandwiches
instead of that Leica glass. If you can't tell the different what's the
point? Or feel like you can.
Showing my prints to Luggers when they come to town they've said my Leica
glass shots look better.  They think the whole Leica thing is worth it. But
you'd expect that. - we didn't do a blind test (try to guess which was shot
with the Leica). Those darkroom shots I show less and less people and the
inkjets the difference is less clear. And I am standardized at 5x7 now
that's what most people see. They try to guess the scans from the captures
sometimes.
Last week An old lady at B&H buying ink carts next to me for our Epson
3800's she said the first print she pulled from her printer was a 17x22".
I've not gone there yet I'm just keeping up with the cost of replacing carts
with what I'm doing now. And when you print 5x7 you don't have to settle for
less then the very best paper. Thick rich rag.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com