Subject: [Leica] Sony cleans up; takes no prisoners.
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 15:10:17 -0700

I agree that taken out of context, a 35mm FF sensor is better than a
1.5x APS-C sensor is better than a 2x 4/3 sensor is better than all
those tiny ones. Of course FF 645 is better than any of those.

Context being important, the final answer isn't as clear cut. I use
35mm FF, 1.3x crop, 1.5x crop, 4/3 and tiny sensor. ALL have their
place, and one isn't 'dumber' than another, unless you use a 1/2.7"
sensor camera when you should use a 645 FF or vice versa.

Under the right conditions I can produce files from any of those
sizes that make fine 8x10" prints, and generally even 11x14". Hardly
ever do I need top quality files that can make the ultimate 24x30"
prints, as most images I produce don't need that nor would benefit
from that.

The only real review of the Sony NEX5 as far as useability is
concerned that I have seen is the one by Michael Reichmann on L-L,
and from that the Sonys are about as friendly as those two button
programmable auto dimmer switches which take half an hour and 287
button presses to get going. And, once you lose the instructions, you
can never program again.

The Sonys might have the better sensor, but Panasonic has produced
cameras with excellent ergonomics for small digital cameras. Also,
because the sensor is smaller, it can use smaller and lighter lenses.
Since I can get decent 11x14's out of the Panasonic, I know which I
would likely prefer most of the time.