Subject: [Leica] Sony cleans up; takes no prisoners.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 16:54:51 -0400

http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/1005/sonysensor/sensor_compare.jpg
Double layer in effect couplets instead of in effect single lens eyewear in
front of each pixel site makes for Sony being able to make the smallest
pixel sights yet and still do well with image quality. The way it looks....
Meanwhile it doest waste its time in sub miniature digital formats but comes
out with its tiny NEX cameras with 1.5 crop like the Leica X1 instead of the
dumb 2x crop cameras which capture the hearts and minds of the bulk of  the
LUG.
It's very cool and cute  and flat 16mm pancake 2.8 becomes a very capable
24mm lens for these NEX cameras. My advanced math skills tells me that lens
would be a 32mm if  they were talking about the crazy useless 2x crop
cameras.
That said they could apply this two layer technology to these smaller
formats and perhaps do ok. Next year. Nobody knows anything about it yet.
But in Pict form it looks good so far.
I'm very big on Sony.

The 16mm  pancake looks great but this NEX series is being mainly presented
with larger front heavy looking zoom glass in front and with much talk about
its video capabilities to justify it. Very smart marketing and camera design
as far as I go. Real stocking stuffers . I'm ready for one.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonynex5/
Mirrorless like the Leica  Dlux series and the bulk of the cameras being
used today which are not DSLR's. Though there is cross over.

We need such an option with M mount

And give me two layers in front of my sensor to make it quite able to deal
with non retrofocal glass designs.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Sony cleans up; takes no prisoners.)