Subject: [Leica] Micro 4/3rds
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:57:37 -0400

I always admired Leica lenses because they were extremely well built.
When I set my camera down hard I took consolation in the fact that the
lens elements were mounted in there rock solid.

Perhaps that's why it's difficult for me today to warm up to a lens
where the elements are moved around by who-knows-what kind of little
mechanism. It's sort of neat that a little thing-a-ma-jig can determine
whether or not -- and more impressively how much and what direction --
I'm shaking, and that it can quickly compensate for that.

But again, I think I prefer that all elements be well cemented and that
those that move are in helicoids machines to extremely tight tolerances.
But that's just me. :-)

Here's how I think IS came into being. Some engineers were talking one
day about digital sensors being smaller, and therefore effective focal
length would be shorter (i.e. a normal lens was 15mm not 50mm). One of
the engineers suddenly realized how that might confuse those of us from
the older school; those of us who based our lowest acceptable hand held
shutter speed on the inverse of the lens focal length. So they went to
the drawing board and invented IS to compensate for this change.