Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:47:32 -0500

Mark

I think everyone got your argument -- a $1000 lens cannot be as good as a
$3000 lens. This might be true. But I think you ought at least refute the
commonly held notion -- even by many who love Leica lenses, and I am
certainly one of those people who love them -- that one pays a substantial
premium just for the brand, nothing else.  I wouldn't presume to know
whether this is true. I think certainly when it comes to things like straps
and viewfinders ($600 for a viewfinder? oy) and lens caps it certainly
(ridiculously, in fact) is true. When I was young and ignorant I paid a
fortune for a 39mm Leica plastic pinch-style lens cap (like 30 bucks or
something; I checked, they're over $60 now) and it was the cheesiest lens
cap I ever owned. Wouldn't stay on, broke, etc.  All of the luxury brands do
this: autos, clothes, etc. They overcharge mercilessly on accessories. But
many folks think Leica charges too much for everything. (I don't agree with
that; in fact, if the Nikon D3 at 80lbs or whatever it is costs $7000 I
cannot imagine how the M9 doesn't cost much much more.)

Also, in recent years, certain lenses have come out from Cosina and elswhere
that reviewers claim are superior to Leica designs of earlier that still
sell (I'm thinking here, and will humbly take correction from all who offer
it, of the CV 21/4 which a slew of reviewers have said is superior to the
Leica 21mm lens currently extant though the latter costs four times as
much).

These two basic tenets, now commonly accepted -- that Leicas often are
overpriced as a branding stragey and that certain modern technologically
assisted designs have from time to time (albeit not often) produced superior
though much less expensive products -- are what allow many of us without a
second thought to accept the statement that such and such a lens is "world
class" (and  a $1000 lens probably is 'world class' no?) and to imply that
the lens is at least comparable to the famed 35mm Summicron AsPH at three
times the price. As I remarked, the pictures certainly look good enough to
make certain claims for. (I know I know web images are not prints and who
can tell and you gotta see 'em at 36" by 24" in an operating room at Mt
Sinai then you can judge but only with a German loupe -- I know).

I'm suggesting only that to some, a continued insistence that perforce the
$3k HAS to be better than the $1K -- because after all it costs three times
as much which means they spent three times as much making it -- sounds a
little naive, as if everything in the world were accurately priced according
to its measurable value. It might just be true in this case but I do think
your argument needs to acknowledge that some have reasonable doubts.

I have long heard that the 35, 75 and 90 Summicrons are masterpieces, so I
don't doubt what you're saying myself. I would love to own one someday.
Which means I should get to WORK and stop following this highly amusing
thread.

Vince