Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:35:38 -0500

Here's why I got as keyed in as much as I did as I realize some of my typing
was fuzzy, unlear or not to the real point.:
There is certainly a place in the world for the excellent ZM lens line.
I'd assume  or guess most of the stuff gives better than Nikon Canon
results.
The orignal post seemed to describe tor hark back to the Zeiss legacy going
back a hundred years of fanatical high end quality. Which is what the Zeiss
legacy is. An interesting combination of conservative lens design with
innovation. But always very high quality which resulted in the very high
price. Not the fluxuations of the German Mark.
In the past years the stuff they had made by other companies to appeal to a
whole different price point.  Kyrrocera and then Cosina and is just not part
of that intense tradition they were put in play to appeal to the mass
market.
They Zeiss designs perhaps but modified so they can be made to much lower
tolerances an appealing to the popular market. The same companants can be
used in more than one lens.
The majority of lenes you buy from any company is  unless its some cutting
edge Asperical based on a CLASSIC ZEISS DESIGN.
So saying "get whizz it's a Zeiss design"  it not to the point.
You've probably got one in your hand right now.

I think a thousand dollar nikon lens is competitive against a thousand
dollar canon or Pentax, Olympus. Minolta. Cosina. Miranda.
And a three thousand dollar Leica lens is competitive and comparable to a
3000 dollar Zeiss lens. Or a 3000 dollar  lens made from just about anybody.
Though I think the Kraft company should stay out of it.
Saving money and NOT getting the highest end premium pie the sky thing is
often the way to go. Its the usual way to go for most people most of the
time.
Sometimes you go for it and and break the bank and get the best.
And a choice of glass is worth it.
Leica gives you that opportunity.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner