Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM
From: bamboozld at gmail.com (K Landdeck)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:33:55 -0800

Wendy,

After using it virtually daily for about 2 years, I'm confident in
saying that it's a fantastic lens.  Compared to the 35 Summicron ASPH
it has more moderate contrast (actually a good thing for b/w in my
experience), slightly less resolution, slightly more depth of field at
a given aperture, and a slower transition to out of focus.  With the
famous Zeiss coatings it takes effort to get it to flare noticeably.
Out of focus areas are very pleasant (if that's your thing).  I had no
complaints whatsoever.  And there is something special about the Zeiss
color rendering -- just delicious colors.  Every time I'd use it with
color I'd mutter to myself about how I needed to shoot more color film
with that lens.    (In case it's of interest, my flickr set with the
Biogon is at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shudaizi/sets/72157606550611842/show/
  )

There are two things though that you might want to be aware of: (a)
Zeiss lenses sometimes develop a "wobble", which is easily fixed by
tightening the lens retaining ring (mine never had this problem,
despite heavy use, but it has happened to enough Zeiss users that it
qualifies as a "known issue") and (b) when I borrowed an M8 for a few
weeks I found that at f/2 the Biogon would produce color fringing on
high contrast edges.  I didn't do any systematic testing, but if
memory serves it was gone at f/2.8.  Haven't seen this on film at all,
so only an issue if one shoots digital.

Other small considerations are that it has no focus tab, but just a
small bump (whether that's a good or bad thing is a matter of personal
taste of course); is fatter and longer than Summicrons (but not
horribly so); the hood (which isn't really needed for flare control
but only for physical protection) is a nice, sturdy bayonet mount; and
it has 1/3 click stops for aperture instead of the usual 1/2 (again,
not a big deal though you may find that you have to remind yourself at
first that it's 3 clicks per stop).

There are some that will argue that it's the greatest 35mm ever; I'm
not quite that partisan about it (or any other lens for that matter),
but it's definitely a world class lens.  I doubt you'd be disappointed
with it.

Best,

Kevin

Only connect.